Wednesday, January 29, 2014

DIY tote bag makeover

Do you have a leather bag that needs fixing?
My mom challenged me with this project.
This was her tote bag that she loved, but the edges became tattered over prolonged use.
I used paper and thread to repair the bag. It looks as good as new!

BEFORE

AFTER



 Here's how I did it:



1. Select your paper.
    I recommend a high quality washi paper since it adheres to the leather material better.
    Cut into 3/4" thick strips.
    The length you will need will depend on the size of your bag.
    Don't worry if it is not a long continuous strip.

2. Fold each paper strip in half. This is to make it easier to apply to the bag.

3. Add adhesive. I used "tacky glue".

4. Apply to the edges of the bag. Smooth out and let dry over night.


5. Pick your desired thread color.

6. Starting from the interior you will sew over and under with about 1/4" spacing in between.
    Continue until all the edges are complete.

7. Apply Modge Podge to both the exterior and interior.  Only along the paper and thread. Let dry.


Voila! and now you have a beautiful bag!